- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs and 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup coconut oil
Lightly grease two cake pans with coconut oil and coat with flour.
In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. Set aside.
In a mixer, cream coconut oil and sugar until smooth. Mix in eggs and egg yolks until fully incorporated. Add lemon juice and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour.
Divide batter between the two pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Transfer cakes to a wire rack and let cool.
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 8 ounces regular cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 to 3 cups shredded coconut
- 2 cups powdered sugar
In a mixer, cream the cream cheese. Add butter and mix until incorporated. Add vanilla extract and salt. Mix in powdered sugar until smooth.
Recipe credit to Martha Stewart.